The Queen's Aid House
GRANTE OVR RYAL QVEEN
ENGLAND LONGE TO RAIGN
SHE HATH PVT HER HELPING
TO BILD THIS TOWN AGAIN"
is the inscription as written on the plaque on the storey below the gable end, between the
windows. It commemorates the financial help arranged by Queen Elizabeth the
First after much of Nantwich was gutted in the fire of 1583. She also allowed
the town to use wood from Delamere Forest.
blaze started in a brew house near to the River Weaver and spread through the
centre of town as far as Sweetbriar Hall in Hospital Street. So buildings such
as the Queen's Aid House on The Square and the Crown Hotel in High
Street date back to that time.
In The Square, right in the centre of town.
Normal trading hours.
None - it is a Gin and Juice bar (including coffee and tea).
access?: There is no access to the inside of the building's upper storeys.
Places to See index page | Websites - tourism
page | A
Disaster in Winter