THE centre of the front wall of Thomas Church's
house on The Square has sunk over the years, but that dip has been retained in
subsequent work on the building.
The house, strictly No 46 High Street, the
left-hand two gable ends, is one of a pair of buildings rebuilt in 1584 after
the Fire of Nantwich (1583). It was lived in by Thomas Church, a mercer, and it
is now occupied by Nantwich Book Shop and Coffee Lounge.
The second floor is open to the public enabling a close inspection of the
centuries-old timbers. But it is approached up a narrow set of stairs and so may
not be available to all. There are stairs to the first floor.
Thomas Church is interred in the churchyard of nearby St Mary's
No 42 and 44 High Street - the right-hand pair of gables, occupied by a coffee
shop and a charity shops
- was lived in by William Church, son of Richard Churche, who built Churche's Mansion. Richard's surname was spelled differently to the other
members of his family. See also this Places to See page.
Church, who describes herself as "honorary member of the Church family by
marriage", said: "William Church was the son of Richard
who built Churche's Mansion. Thomas was the son of Edward, who was Richard's
brother, making them cousins.
"The plaque on the Nantwich Book Shop
states incorrectly that they were uncle and nephew, and a salt display in the
Museum in 2008 had them as father and son!"
images of the Book Shop | Places
to See index |
Websites - tourism